MPLS is a highly scalable, protocol agnostic, data-carrying mechanism. In an MPLS network, data packets are assigned labels. Packet-forwarding decisions are made solely on the contents of this label, without the need to examine the packet itself. This allows one to create end-to-end circuits across any type of transport medium, using any protocol. The primary benefit is to eliminate dependence on a particular data link layer technology, such as Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM), Frame Relay, Synchronous Optical Networking (SONET) or Ethernet, and eliminate the need for multiple layer-2 networks to satisfy different types of traffic. MPLS belongs to the family of packet-switched networks. (Wikipedia)
What this means to you:
- Global availability.
- Quality of Service routing.
- Multicasting for improved bandwidth conservation.
- Seamless Frame Relay / ATM integration.
- Stringent Service Level Agreements.
- Multiple access options.
- Any-to-any connectivity.
- Streamlines network management, planning, and expansion.
- CCI Advantage: Comes with a single point of contact for complete carrier management, customized account planning, effective provisioning, superior support and consolidated billing statements.